As I continue on my tenth year of trying to find a game project to focus on, I decided to bring an old procedural map generation experiment back from the dead, upgrade it to Unity 2019.4 LTS and also replace my Git submodule setup with Unity packages. I’ve not quite succeeded with that last part.
Over the last two months I've made minimal progress on the infinite racer game, experimented with higher detail 3D modeling and HDRP, began transitioning to Unity packages and updated a couple of my Node.js libraries.
This blog is powered by my self-made static site generator. At first, I did the deployment process manually but wanted to automate it by using a CI pipeline. Here are some thoughts on which ones I looked at and why I've gone with GitHub Actions for now, and some details on how I'm using them to deploy this site.
I spent a little less time on the infinite runner project this week so most of the progress has been small adjustments, like increasing the game's speed, making controls more responsive, prototyping the user interface and some small visual adjustments. I'm also looking into reviving one of my older learning projects.
Major additions from last week are proper background scenery, traffic so the player has something to avoid hitting, a game over state when they do hit something and some placeholder UI elements to show score and distance travelled. I also ended up spending a fair bit of time on background systems and structuring to try and keep the codebase maintainable.
A week ago, I started working on a street racing themed, ultra-casual mobile infinite runner game. Not terribly original, I know, the app stores are filled with this sort of thing after all. But the point here is to actually release something, not to be original or profitable. I've been dicking around in Unity for close to ten years now without ever actually completing or releasing any actual games. Surely, if I haven't learned enough to release a simple mobile game by now, I'm probably never going to.